• Banner1

How to apply

Please note that the information about Housing Allocations and the Housing Register on these pages relates to the current Housing Allocation Scheme.  This scheme is no longer valid after 19th April 2017.  For more information go to www.birmingham.gov.uk/allocation-scheme.


How to apply

To use Birmingham Home Choice, you need to be registered with Birmingham City Council, Midland Heart, or Family Housing Association. 

It is important that you keep us up to date with any changes in your circumstances.  Click here to find out how.

If you would like to apply to Midland Heart, please call 0345 602 0540

Find out if you are eligible to register with Birmingham Home Choice.

What happens after I have sent in my application form?

Once you have completed your application form and sent it back to the organisation you wish to register with, they will then assess your housing need.  If you apply to Birmingham City Council, we will compare your situation with our Allocations Scheme and award you points to refelect your housing need.  You can find out more about the criteria we apply, either by reading our full Allocations Scheme, or by reading our Allocations Scheme Summary.

For more information on the criteria applied by Midland Heart and Family Housing Association, please contact them directly. 

 We will write to you when you are registered with Birmingham Home Choice. This letter will tell you:

It may also tell you

  • the size of property you can bid for
  • the category of property you are eligible for if you need adaptations
  • the number of points you have been given
  • the priority band you have been placed in.

You must tell us if there are any changes in your circumstances so that we can ensure your assessment is up to date.  This includes if you move house, or if someone joins or leaves your household.  We check your details before inviting you to view a property, and again before we let a property.  If your circumstances have changed and you do not tell us, it may result in us being unable to let a property to you.   You can tell us about changes in your circumstances by filling in a change of circumstances form.  You will also need to be able to provide evidence of the changes so that we can verify your circumstances. 


You must also keep your contact details up to date with us, otherwise we will be unable to contact you about properties, and you will miss out on the oppertunity to view properties you have bid for. 

For more information on what to expect from the application process to Birmingham City Council, please read our Service Standards.



Birmingham City Council Birmingham Social Housing Partnership
Birmingham Home Choice Property Site
  • This week's properties
    (PDF 1930Kb)
  • Flexible Tenancies
    (PDF 0Kb) (RTF 0Kb)
  • Allocations Policy Amendment
    (PDF 83Kb) (RTF 17Kb)
  • User Guide
    (PDF 1848Kb) (RTF 210Kb)
  • Symbols Guide
    (PDF 85Kb)
  • Application form guide
    (PDF 355Kb) (RTF 38Kb)
  • Factsheet 1 Bidding tips
    (PDF 75Kb) (RTF 17Kb)
  • Factsheet 2 Adapted properties
    (PDF 74Kb) (RTF 44Kb)
  • Allocation Scheme summary
    (PDF 380Kb) (RTF 155Kb)
Get Adobe Reader
Website Design by NetSyndicate